Monday, February 23, 2009

And the Award Goes to...


Slumdog Millionaire! I absolutely LOVE this movie. Now, my friends, particularly my roommates, make fun of me all the time for the amount of movies that I own. Seriously, I have my own blockbuster...everyone in my family does. We're just movie people; we always have been. So for me, it's completely normal to just go and buy a movie that you like. I mean really, why rent it and have a limited time to watch it, when you could just invest and buy it, and then get to watch it anytime you want. Now I make fun of all the people who wait in ridiculous long lines, camp out, and dress up to see movies. However, I can honestly say that I would camp out and wait in ridiculously long lines to own this movie. Yep, it's THAT good. If you haven't seen it, you should, you're behind the times. And I want to marry Jamal (once you see the movie and his character, ladies you'll want to marry him too he's so sweet!). It deserved Best Picture and all the awards it won from the Academy last night. I was very pleased.

Doubt. The acting in this movie was absolutely phenomenal. It amazed me that Meryl Streep could go from goofy Mamma Mia to a hard, legalistic nun, and Amy Adams could leave her sweet and gullible role in Enchanted, to an innocent nun just trying to battle and do the right thing. It is a moral mystery that leaves you thinking and could be interpreted several different ways. It certainly is not what I expected it to be, but very good nonetheless. However, I was highly disappointed that Viola Davis did not win Best Supporting Actress for her short but powerful role in this film. Although I have not seen The Reader and would like to, at this time I think Meryl Streep should have won Best Actress for her role in Doubt as well. Once again, I highly recommend this movie. It ranks right underneath Slumdog.






So thank you for reading Christa's movie reviews...maybe one day the Academy will really listen to me.

No comments: