Tuesday, July 7, 2009

10,000 Children

10,000 children and all I can do is just talk.
While my house is full of possessions that negligence bought.
Everyone tells me that I'm not to blame,
Why do I still feel the same?

Only love can save us all.
Only love can save us all, save us all.

10,000 children are my invitation to change.
To continue in excess now suddenly feels oh so strange.
Prayers and money should not be confused,
But I pray that both still are used.

Only love can save us all.
Only love can save us all

What will become of me?
Inside of history

10,000 children and all I can do is just talk.

So I was at the park today reading and listening to Pandora on my phone and this song by Dave Barnes came up. It's come up before and I liked it but I actually sat there and listened to the words this time...and I was thinking..Yeah. I feel you Dave. I have no idea why he wrote this song. I listened to that first verse and knew EXACTLY what he was talking about. I just started thinking about the not 10,000, but millions of children who are fatherless, hungry, abused, sold, ect. and sometimes there's nothing I can do but talk about it because I can't save them. And sometimes there's lots of things I can do but instead I waste my time and money on things that don't matter at all. Sometimes I help as much as I can and see tragedy and feel guilty, that I could've done more, usually that means I'm not trusting Father to work and move and trying to control the situation myself, like I'm better at it than He is. Most of ya'll know I'm a social work major (after I say that I always get alot of "Oh....what is that?) and my heart is for adoption (here and abroad) and foster care. One of my biggest fears is that when I get a job and constantly see the corruption and brokennes that I will become numb to it and it won't even affect me anymore. It's been hard even this past year working with CPS and walking into homes and situations that are just...totally screwed up. And these past couple of months mentoring at the Nelson Center has been by far my most challenging yet. And in two months I'll be in Guatemala at an orphanage which is exciting for me because it's something I've always wanted to do, but I'm fearful at the same time that I'll come back and just talk about it and do nothing else. Apathy is something I've really been struggling with this summer in so many areas of my life...and that's never really been an issue for me before (or it has and I'm just now seeing it). I've always been a take action kind of girl. But...

Only love can save us all. Love was never displayed more fully than through His death and resurrection. He chose to love me despite my broken heart that is bent to sin and runs to things that rob my affection towards Him. He chose to adopt me and love me through the grossest of times when I am rebellious and a control freak. If I could choose one word that these kids need, it's love. Consistent, undeniable, unconditional love. Oh that they may know that they have a Father and His love is deeper than they could ever imagine. I hope He uses me to spread that and that I do not sit back and apathetically watch. Alright I'm done rambling. That song just made me think.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Wow what a beautiful post!

I agree that love is the only thing that can save us.

Anyway..I was touched.